 Off-Topic / Debate / 14009
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:46:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
I would say that if it
can be demonstrated that if any particular weapon is the most effective and
appropriate weapon under valid reasoning based on the facts available at the
time, using it in a war that pits good against evil is not terrorism.

The use of a 767 on Sep 11 was probably deemed effective and appropriate
by the perpetrators - with a little investment in pilot training, and
without the need to carry into the country any explosives or risk discovery
by building their own, they effectively sent exactly the message they
wanted to send.

And your own president (and many others) say it is war, and is pitting good
against evil.

I think you need to make this point a little clearer - I definitely
don't agree that those attacks weren't terrorism.

Me either. You're right, there's something a little off with that definition
as written. As long as you assume that they felt they were on the side of
good and their target was on the side of evil (that's the part that matters,
not that GWB thinks the same applies, but to opposite sides, it's the weapon
wielder that has to be on the side of good, not the weapon recepient) under
that definition that particular weapon was justified. IF they were in a war
that they intend to win.

Which they are, presumably.

And as long as you are totally morally relative (that is, their assessment
of us as evil and they as good is JUST AS VALID as ours of them as evil and
us as good), you're stuck with that outcome.

But I'm not a moral relativist. I hold them as evil nonetheless, and it's
not because 90% of the world would vote that way in a poll.

So maybe this whole calculus is flawed unless you can show the goodness of
one side (not sure it needs to be 100% perfect) or the evil of the other
without using moral justifications that are relative.

I dunno.