 Off-Topic / Debate / 14071
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:58:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

I consider *war*, in general, to be a terrible thing.
Is the word *terrible* not drived from *terror*?
Therefor *war* is *terror* and anyone taking part in a war is by definition
a *terrorist*.

Well, that's a little hasty.  I consider Bionicle to be terrible, but LEGO
isn't a terrorist organization as a result.  I would suggest that, rather
than trying to define words (which, to me, suggests an effort to identify
with relative precision the meanings of words), you are actually trying to
extend the meaning of a word to the point that it has no useful meaning.
    Dave!

No, what I am doing is returning the word to its base definition... it's
original meaning.

Terror

Terrorize

Terrorist

Terrorism

Terrible

All of the above mean;  to frighten

For you to say that the bionicles are *terrible* is fine, unfortunately it
also means that you think they are frightening, that they place a sense of
dread upon you.  Personally, I see them as mere toys that may be used in
violent fantasies with their *tools*; the same as G.I. Joe or Transformers
action figures (except that they aren't afraid to admit that those
accesories are actually weapons, not *tools*.

For me, purhaps not for you, war is a frightening thing, it is terrible, it
most certainly places upon ME a sense of dread.  Anyone who comes after me
for the sake of war is commiting an act of terrorism, because (have no
doubt) they are going to terrorize me by attempting to take my life.

Look up the word *Fright*, it means a sudden fear or terror (Webster).

Fright and Terror both have roots in Middle English language.

It is easy to use American words as slang, even those words that actually
have a definition are often used as slang.  Your above description of
bionicles as terrible is a slang usage, as I hardly think you honestly have
a sense of dread when gazing at them.  You may, of course, be pessimistic
about the future of Lego brand toys while looking at Bionicles.

So, I must disagree with you that I have extended the definition of *Terror*
to point of making it obsolete, but rather that I have taken it back to its
roots and used it properly.

On a side note, I used to have great difficulty in vocabulary and dictionary
skills, but my teachers decided to hold me back an extra year in elementary
so that I could get it right.  I think they did a good job on me as I did
quite well in highschool excellerated English classes (still need to work on
them grammer skills, but important things must come first).

*toodles!!*