 Off-Topic / Debate / 14070
14069  |  14071
Subject:
broad brush terrorists (was Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:35:42 GMT

So.... how is that not "might makes right?" Or "Larry makes right" as the
case may be. How is this subjective judgement any better than their
subjective judgment of us?

Well that's the crux of the hole in my argument.

Yes, but not for the reasons you state, I think. The hole is that I don't
think morality is necessarily tied to these events. Whether or not it was a
moral action doesn't matter to whether it was "necessary" or not, unless
your ends are specifically moral. And further it also doesn't play into
whether the action was a terrorist act or not.

I think we differ on this. You can't separate ends from means.

Exactly correct-- my point was that I'm not sure I understand what ends you
believe were intended. If the end was "to scare the Japanese" rather than
"to have Japan surrender", then yes, I agree that the bombing may have been
necessary. I just wouldn't agree that those were the ends we were trying to
reach.

So terrorism, I think, by definition, is immoral, and taints the outcome of
whatever it supports.

Wow. I can't disagree more.

I could, but I do not agree that terrorism is immoral. It depends on what
the fight is against. There are instances where terrorists get broad based
support for their actions where they are viewed as fighting against
"immoral" regimes.

If we paint with a broad brush, could the European resistance movements
during WW2 not be defined as terrorists?

Scott A

Of course I hold that absoloutely no action
exists that is necessarily attached to a moral judgement. I mean, suppose
that the only way to make Japan surrender was to frighten its people? While,
yes, it isn't a great solution, it would be a better solution than having to
kill them all, yes? Again, this is of course hypothetical.

That by the way puts the onus on me more than ever to demonstrate that the
a-bomb usage wasn't terrorism and wasn't immoral, else our "good" taking on
the Axis "evil" is tainted nonetheless as not completely moral.

I just dug that hole a little deeper. But I had to to keep honest.

I think you did. What definition of terrorism are you using? Let's bring a
little more focus on that. I don't think I've seen a good definition from
you yet on that front, unless I missed it...

What calculus do you use here? Is a US life == an enemy alien life? or is it
worth more, if you're the US commander? How much more? What ratio?

That is indeed a question one must ask-- and it in and of itself is where we
can eventually agree to disagree. But I think the definition of an enemy
life needs to be expounded a little. How do you rate enemy civilians vs.
enemy military? Should Osama be seeking your blood specifically for being an
American? Should you move to a country whose political actions you agree
with 100% so that you can be held just as morally reprhensible for your
country's actions as the government itself (Libertaria?)?

Also, to what extent were US lives at threat during this stage of the war?
What sort of continuing threat did the Japanese pose at this stage? From
everything I've heard, virtually nil. Accepting that, doesn't the equasion
simplify into nearly only the value of an enemy's life? and more importantly
a civilian's life?

We were at war with an implacable enemy that was refusing to surrender
unconditionally (a prerequisite for restructuring the country so it would
not bother others with violent aggression for a very long time, something we
have succeeded at)

While they wouldn't surrender unconditionally, it sounds like they might
have surrendered under other circumstances. Why not try diplomacy before
lofting two A-bombs on them?

When you factor what the perfidious Soviets were going to be doing at the
time as well, the equation tips even farther.

That I'll concede with. But while granted I don't know a lot about the
politics involved therein, I still don't think it justifies the dropping of
the bombs. And even if it did justify 1, I still don't think it justified
the 2nd.

Nevertheless I see the use of these weapons as the most expedient
and effective way to have ended the suffering of WW II, and not as a
terrorist act.

Certainly they were effective and expedient. I dunno about "best choice"
though. But I still stand by saying it was a terrorist act.

DaveE