 Off-Topic / Debate / 14117
Re: Liberterian comes through for the Bill of Rights (was a slur
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:20:13 GMT

Why don't you people trim anything?

We *could* pass a law requiring all airline passengers to travel completely
naked with all baggage checked, which might help stop hijackings but that
doesn't make it a good idea, or aligned with the bill or rights.

I didn't see this original note...that's not a bad idea actually!  I think we
need more nudity.  :-)

I've given an example of a law that CLEARLY
would help stop hijackings. After all, it denies the terrorist a place to
hide his weapons (or bomb control remote). Do you dispute that it would help
stop hijackings to require nudity? If so, please explain.

Did you read _Diamond Age_?  What about the goombah with the gun in his
forehead?

Why do we want to stop hijackings? To protect life and commerce? Your
proposal will not do the latter.

How's that?  People would get used to it and commerce could continue.

But it's a *silly* idea. That was the *point*... it stops a class of
hijackings (the class that required a weapon concealed on your person) yet
it *nevertheless* is unconstitutional and is a *bad idea*.

Well, there is that...I guess...actually, how is it?  Do we have ninth
amendment rights to clothing?  Why not say that our right to clothing is like
our free speech with regard to shouting 'fire?'

Chris