 Off-Topic / Debate / 13878
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:55:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Let me play a bit of advocatis diabolis here ...

You're comparing vastly different countries, with different mindsets.

So, you would admit that there is a problem with SOMETHING in the US
mindset? But you are sure it has nothing to do with arms?

Compare within a country, especially within the US, and you'll see that
states that allow easy lawful access to guns tend to have lower violent
crime rates.

... and at the same time fuel the violent crimes in places where they are
easier to commit. As per your own analysis (which I actually agree with, in
a sense, as you can see from my reply to it).

Violent crime involving robberies and non-domestic assaults are usually
committed by people who are not likely to pick up and move to another state
where concealed handguns are not allowed just so they can commit crime.  You'd
be very hard pressed to find a trend where, for example, criminals leave Texas
(where concealed hand guns are allowed) for State X (where they are not) just to
continue their career with greater ease.  Frankly, people committing violent
acts against the man-on-the-street are usually drug addicts and opportunity
spotters.  They may prey on each other, but they are less likely to prey on me
if they don't know whether or not I'm carrying "heat." (1)

(1) Which I don't.

james