 Off-Topic / Debate / 13880
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:37:44 GMT

Generally, don't you think that some sensible level of safety is one of the
very basic human rights?

No. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Safety is too broadly
defined to be a right.

But doesn't it take some sensible level of safety (as opposed to absolute
safety) to ensure the value of the "life" part of your rights definition?

And if so, don't you think that only the rich will
get it through free market mechanisms?

and again no. You fall into the classic "only the rich will have X" fallacy.

Don't get me wrong: As long as X is NOT a basic human right, I am OK with X
being only available to the rich. I am just not sure how the "life" right
can be lived without security ...

Is it not fair that those who work harder or are cleverer have more than
those that don't?

I would without hesitation agree to the "work harder" part of your question.
I am not 100% sure about the "are cleverer" part of it, because that's
something people cannot really influence.

But let's assume I agree to both. Is it true then, that Bill Gates works
10000 times harder than I do? Is he 10000 times smarter than me? Am I 10000
times smarter than the average inhabitant of Africa, or do I work that much
harder than they do?

:wq

Horst