 Off-Topic / Debate / 13881
Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:20:35 GMT

Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.

I'm comfortable with the designation of Cuba as a terrorist state, (1). That
perception of mine is based mostly on my perception of their actions in the
1980s in Africa.

Do you have a reference for this?

I dunno about Larry's references, but I can confirm this. According to a
cuban veteran I spoke to while in Cuba, he was in Angola in the early
eighties. A number of people here who have had business there (Angola, not
Cuba) by then reported Cuban presence along with government troops, fighting
UNITA.
As wether this can be called terrorism, well... tchnically, they were there
on demand, not "invading" - and there was a war on.
Other countries in Africa where cuban presence was reported include former
Zaire, but I don't have any references about those.

Recently they seem to have calmed down whether because they wanted to or
because they have no power any more is a different matter. That begs another
interesting question. Is it possible for a country to move off the list if
there is no change in regime and no repudiation of what went before or
admission of guilt or reparation?

Libya seems to have changed its ways, for instance.

And Syria now, apparentely. (just saw on the news)

The interesting thing about Libya is the hassle it got for the Pam-Am
bombing over my fair land. It turns out that one of the accused was innocent
and the second is appealing his conviction. I wonder if Libya will get some
sort of an apology if the second chap is found innocent on appeal? Or is
Libya still implicated?

Hmm... tough one. I'd say there is a rather *fair* belief the Lybians were
involved in the Lockerbie crash - Khadaffi's declarations did not help at
all. If those blokes are guilty or not *themselves*, well...
But right now I believe it would be of interest for all (including US) to
lift sanctions and re-include Lybia in the World Affairs. 10 years is a long
time, and it is likely the lesson was learned.

The MPs cited seem to have chosen a weak example of Cuba's plight.

At least two of them are know trouble makers. One of them was against our
taking on Iraq without UN support. Then when the operation got UN support,
he was still against it.

But what about Mr Bosch:
From The New York Times, 15 November 1976
==+==
Six Indicted in Venezuela

In the case of the Cuban airliner, six persons, including Dr. Orlando Bosch,
a Cuban exile physician, have been indicted in Venezuela on charges of
sabotage. The others include Luis Posada Garriles, a Cuban-born naturalized
Venezuelan citizen who was trained by the United States Central Intelligence
Agency and who has been running a private detective agency in Venezuela. Dr.
Bosch, who has worked in Miami as a pediatrician, violated probation by
leaving the United States after he was paroled in 1974 from a 10-year prison
sentence for firing a rocket at a Polish ship anchored in Miami.

!
And then they say they *like* "guns-for-all" in the US...  :-P

He was
nevertheless allowed to move freely from Venezuela to Chile, Nicaragua,
Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic and back to Venezuela. Several Miami
residents and Dr. Bosch met in the Dominican Republic in July and issued a
statement declaring their intention of waging a terrorist campaign against
Cuba. Cuban sources here said Manuel Artime, a former commander of
American-trained anti-Castro raiders, had been in touch with Dr. Bosch and
other exiles in Nicaragua, where President Anastasio Somoza is an ardent
opponent of the Castro Government and a business partner of Mr. Artime.

Offered to Return Bosch

On two occasions, when Dr. Bosch was arrested in Venezuela and Costa Rica
and offers were made to send him back to the United States as a parole
violator, the Department of Justice refused to have him returned. Now that
the has been implicated in the Cuban airliner case, the United States
Embassy in Venezuela has asked that he be returned if not convicted.
According to the Miami police, Cuban exile extremists operate in a murky
underworld, where anti-Communist and patriotic motives are often mixed with
criminal extortion to obtain funds and with traffic in arms and drugs. Their
activities have also affected relations between Cuba and other Caribbean
countries as well as future United States-Cuban relations under a new
administration in Washington. The recent increase in anti-Castro activities
followed a decision by the Organization of American States in March 1975 to
end the break in diplomatic and economic relations with Cuba. Nine member
countries have now restored relations. Any such normalization is opposed by
the anti-Castro militants and by right-wing governments, like those of Chile
and Nicaragua.
==+==

Lost History: The CIA's Fugitive Terrorist
http://www.consortiumnews.com/archive/lost13.html

Scott A

Spying is
spying and if you get caught, you get punished, that's how that game is
played. We spy all the time too. Not sure that's such a good thing, but are
there alternatives? Dunno.

Eheheh, we had a little problem with our spies here... and now we have none.
One of our Ministers decided all spies should be known to the public! You
can guess the result, and the PM's reaction. ("(Name) Sacked at hh:mm,
dd/mm/yyyy" was the brief Memo to the press :-)
Spying is good. It brings us Bond movies.

1 - as well as North Korea, who are much much higher on the list, if there
is an ordering. Anybody trying for WMD for no real reason makes my personal
list (and that includes India and Pakistan too, I suppose, although that
begs the question of why it's OK for us to have them and not India).

Yes, indeed. That is why Einstein asked for the bomb NOT to be used. Of
course, it was rather handy in 1962 to have both sides of the Iron Curtain
fearful to use their WMD... I prefer to speak English instead of Russian!
:-P

I fear NK as well... the people are completely kept in the ignorance of what
goes on outside the country. And even inside. Well, they are kept in the
ignorance AND famine. Or better still, they AREN'T kept alive at all -
survival is the word for it. Nasty Kim!  >:-O

Pedro