 Off-Topic / Debate / 13923
Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:56:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Or perhaps you could also ask the question how many sympathisers to
thier cause do you need in the US government?

Or how many votes might be lost if they are on the list?

Those were posed as rhetorical questions I assume, but they are nevertheless
valid and I admit of no answer.

   The corollary of Lawrence's question, of course, is:
   "how many votes might be lost if they *aren't* on the list?"

   I noticed the very small amount of text re: Cuba, and none
   that implies a state sponsorship--it appears to be more a
   matter of asylum, which is much harder to equate, I'd argue,
   with being a "terrorist state."  In effect that's saying that
   refusing to hand over someone a nation labels a "terrorist"
   is somehow condoning terrorism.

   That's all well and good, of course, when we're the ones doing
   the labeling, and in this case, because I think we've got a
   pretty good file on bin Laden.  But it's a troubling precedent
   for future violations of national sovereignty, and it may very
   well come back to bite us in the butt one day.

   best

   LFB