 Off-Topic / Debate / 13900
Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:58:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.

I'm comfortable with the designation of Cuba as a terrorist state, (1). That
perception of mine is based mostly on my perception of their actions in the
1980s in Africa.

Do you have a reference for this?

I dunno about Larry's references, but I can confirm this. According to a
cuban veteran I spoke to while in Cuba, he was in Angola in the early
eighties. A number of people here who have had business there (Angola, not
Cuba) by then reported Cuban presence along with government troops, fighting
UNITA.
As wether this can be called terrorism, well... tchnically, they were there
on demand, not "invading" - and there was a war on.
Other countries in Africa where cuban presence was reported include former
Zaire, but I don't have any references about those.

   Cuban advisors and troops were all over the place, but regardless
   of how you slice it, it wasn't terrorism.  For some reason people
   are quick to denounce terrorism, and then they can't quite define
   it--what's military action, and what's terrorism?  Can you Monday-
   morning quarterback and label certain states as "terrorist" for
   their actions in the Cold War? (If that's the case, we'd better
   make sure we've buried what's in our *own* backyard first.)

   What happened in Angola (and Mozambique, though the Cubans there
   were only observers) was civil war connected to the ugly collapse
   of Portugal's colonial rule, not terrorism.  Hell, even the mess
   in Namibia doesn't have much in the way of "terroristic" elements.
   That's not to say there wasn't terror there, but look at the
   *context* and the differences are baldly apparent.  That's like
   calling Gamal abd al-Nasr (Nasser) a terrorist for what he dared
   to do in the Suez in 1956.  And...is it terrorism when the state
   uses it to terrorize its own people?  Hmmm.

   The "war on terrorism" can't be used to set up a double standard
   on aggression.  It shouldn't.  It mustn't.  Double standards are the
   reason we landed in this mess in the first place!

   That said, I'd like to see any evidence that Cuba is *today* a
   state that sponsors terrorism.  If it's sustainable in a way that
   such a charge wouldn't be sustainable against, say, us as well,
   then there may be a basis.  But I don't think there is any.

   best

   LFB