 Off-Topic / Debate / 13786
13785  |  13787
Subject:
Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:19:54 GMT

Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.

This letter appeared in a UK newspaper yesterday. I just wondered if there
was any truth in it.

Here it is;

==+==
Cuba wants justice too.

In view of the government's support for United States decision to wage "war
on terrorism and all states that harbour terrorists", we wish to
emphatically point out that Cuba is not a terrorist state. Cuba remains on
the US state department's official list of "terrorist states" in spite of
the fact that at no time has the Cuban government advocated, supported or
harboured terrorists.
Quite the contrary, since 1959, Cuba has been the victim of hundreds of
terrorist attacks emanating from the US itself in which more than 3,000
innocent people have been killed.

Five Cubans are currently being held in a Miami jail awaiting sentence after
being convicted of spying on the US when in fact they had been spying on the
network of anti-Castro paramilitary groups that have been domiciled in
Florida for 40 years. Gerardo Hernandez, Antonio Guerro, Rene Gonzalez,
Ramon Labanino and Fernando onazalez, were convicted in a flawed trial,
using tainted evidence and by a jury that was selected from among the most
anti-Castro districts in the United States. One of the individuals they were
investigating was Orlando Bosch who is still wanted in Venezuela and Cuba
for the 1976 bombing of a Cuban airliner with 73 passengers on board.

We call on the British government to immediately call on the US to cease
harbouring wanted terrorists and request the immediate release of the "Miami
five".

Tony Banks MP,
Tony Clarke MP,
Harry Cohen MP,
Cynog Dafis AM,
George, Galloway MP,
John McAllion MSP,
Alice Mahon MP &
Llew Smith MP
==+==

Scott A

(I generally don't like to start threads, but the discussion trees here are
getting rather large)