 Off-Topic / Debate / 13787
Re: Freedom vs. Wellfare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:49:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Larry, hello everybody,

These are all freedom of action rights and freedom from oppression rights.
They are not rights to goods earned and paid for by others and forcibly
transferred to me.

How can an abandoned kid live and pursue its happiness, when this is all
that is to freedom, liberty and civil rights? And how exactly does it hurt
your liberty, or pursuit of happiness, when some of your tax dollars are
used for that purpose? I have actually seen tax dollars spent for less
useful and less just purposes.

I think the issue here is the fact that the state collects taxes, and uses them
as *it* sees fit. In a free market, everyone would still have the right to help
the abandoned child as they see fit, without the state "forcing" them to. Where
this breaks down is if noone chooses to help. Of course, this problem also
arrises with state help - the governmeny often chooses to spend the money
elsewhere, usually because of "red tape" or to attract votes. I think a
(totally) free market is great in theory, but impossible in practice (for any
significant period, anyway) - the human factors (power, greed) will always
cause it to break down.

Also, since you value your freedom to earn money, and use it the way you
decide, so highly, isn't it also true that you earn it from an environment
that does not grant everybody the same chance to do the same? And if so, are
you advocating the survival of only those people who happen to be more
intelligent and more lucky than others? In the light of these arguments, do
you really believe that a 100% free market society will be just to everyone?

I think a free market society *would* be just to everyone who participated
willingly & fairly. It would break down because of those who don't, those who
can't, and those who abuse it, and there will *always* be such people, no
matter how much you try to educate them.

I hope you don't find those questions annoying. I am learning a lot about
you as my friend, and the US in general by reading the answers. Of course, I
also welcome comments from others on the issue. If this turns out to be
something exclusively between Larry and me, we should probably move it to
email ...

On the contrary, I find these questions very thought-provoking, and would also
be disappointed if you were to go to email.

ROSCO