 Off-Topic / Debate / 13901
Re: Cuba is a terrorist state (was Re: Any truth in this one - Cuba as a terrostist state.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 06:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  That said, I'd like to see any evidence that Cuba is *today* a
  state that sponsors terrorism.  If it's sustainable in a way that
  such a charge wouldn't be sustainable against, say, us as well,
  then there may be a basis.  But I don't think there is any.

That's fine... here's a question though: How many years have to go by before
you're off the hook, if there has been no change in regime and no
repudiation or reparation?

Where I am going with this is, suppose (hypothetically) it has been
demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction that say, Libya was a terrorist
state in 1990, whatever that means. Further let's say, hypothetically, of
course, that they still have the same regime, there haven't been any major
voluntary payments to victims or even a "gee we're sorry we used to be
terrorists" emitted from the leader's mouth. Is 10 years long enough? If so,
why? If not, why not?

This question needs to be answered before people (I mean dubya, for
instance) bandy things about that will cause the sort of confusion LFB
alluded to.

I think even Dan would agree that Arafat USED to be a terrorist at some
point in the past and I think most people feel he isn't now (although I
don't, the links to Hamas and Hezbollah are too tight, but I digress). Is he
fine now? Does supporting Iraqi aggression count against him?

I dunno the answers to these.

  best

  LFB