 Off-Topic / Debate / 13922
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

(snipped)

If there is a Police force, legitimated by the society, it is VERY
reasonable they can ask for proof of identity!

If they have probable cause to suspect me of commission of a crime, then I
agree.

If this is the only way you find criminals, this explains a lot about the US
;->.

Oh?  What does it explain?  The only thing I see, is why we continue to love
our country even with all our cons.  We do have more freedom, and we value it
highly.

More freedom than whom?
And we *also* love our own respective countries, we may even love *each
other's* countries so much that we want to unite 'em all!  :-)
Anyway, we also have cons. And we have ID's. Is it so difficult to
understand that a nation can be loved beyond such petty issues like ID's and
all?

But seriously, why is it that you in the US seem to think it's
unreasonable to randomly ask people for their identity at certain places?

Because my rights trump, in most cases, the priveleges of the government.

Your government HAS priveleges? And you claim to be "Freer"?

Only
when there is a plausible threat to the peace of the many may my rights be laid
aside for investigation and possible punishment.  The power to randomly hassle
people can easily be abused.  And it is.

Not even when the peace of the many is threatened may my rights be "put
aside". My priveleges, however, can.

My rights follow me all over. An investigation does not exclude my rights,
and a punishment must be balanced so that my rights aren't irrevocably
destroyed.
You see, one of the rights I like the most is the right to carry on after
being interrupted.  ;-)

Pedro