 Local / United Kingdom / 6415
Re: Yet Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 20:03:30 GMT

Simon Bennett wrote:

I'm not sure, but I thought the boom just prescribed an arc, there weren't
separate movements of the boom to move the skip back and to drop it off.  I
am going to have to check this now.

Like most things, there are several variations on the hooklift theme - for
example, the "Light Duty Hoist" at this URL does not have a boom locking
mechanism; the skip length is small enough to allow both tipping and loading to
be achieved by varying only the length of the telescoping boom:

   http://k-pac.com/prodhooklifts.htm

One of things I've always marvelled at
is how far off the ground the cab can lift when loading, I've seen the front
wheels clear the floor by over five feet. I think the skip's weight and the
length of the truck must be finely tuned to prevent disaster!

This is one of the reasons for having the telescoping boom, which will reduce
the load moment of a skip being loaded when telescoped so that the boom length
is reduced. Perhaps the driver is just not using this facility, the skip is
overloaded, or perhaps the truck in question doesn't have it? Certainly the real
truck the model was based on was loading skips full of stone and didn't lift off
the ground :-)

Jennifer