 Local / Australia / 9849
Re: Names of things.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:

I'm disputing the assertion that BSB is the "wrong" name but Dark Shark is
the "right" name which was made upthread. I see no prima facie basis for
that assertion, and was asking for some support for it from the person who
made it, or anyone else either for that matter.

Any 6285 distributed by LEGO Australia would be correctly called a 'Dark
Shark'. It would therefore be the original name *in Australia*.

OK, now you're making the assertion too, and just as unsupportedly. Granted
that LEGO originally released this set with multiple names in english
speaking countries... they apparently have now decided to use just one. What
makes your statement "correctly called a 'Dark Shark'" true?

I'm with Larry on this. While that Santa Fe Super Chief is based on a real
world object, Lego are just tagging Lego creations with a hopefully marketable
identifier.
The 6285 I possess is a USA edition and has the name Black Seas Barracuda on
the box. Did Australian (European) sets actually have a name on them ?

LEGO can call things what they want, when they want, and whatever they *say*
is correct *is* correct, aussie whinging about it notwithstanding. It's
their product after all. Who are you (or I) to say what's correct and what
isn't?

Maybe all Lugnetters should learn Danish and only converse in Danish while
on Lugnet (;^)
Using the original Danish names (if that's the starting point).

By making this assertion, you're supporting Ben's
anti-everyone-except-australia ranting. Which is too bad, really, as it's a
wasted effort on his part.