 Local / Australia / 9861
Re: Names of things.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:45:37 GMT

Richie, I think this will be my last response to you. If Ben chooses to
respond I will respond to that, but I am now starting to wonder if you're
deliberately misinterpreting what I am saying, for whatever reason.

Let's go back to what Ben said, shall we? To wit:

"The "Dark Shark" [what most people mistakenly refer to as the "Black Seas
Barracuda"]:"

Note that there is no qualification about Australia in this statement.
Merely that "most people" are "mistaken" when the use BSB.

Which "most" people would that be? The UK has more people than Oz does. And
the US in turn more than the UK.

So it's doubtful that "most people" are mistaken, unless Ben is asserting
that "Dark Shark" is *the only* (not "a") correct name, or that we're all
confused about populations.

and further on

"Oh yes...and it shows that LEGO use the Seppo names for sets instead of the
names they originally gave the sets."

Overlooking the mislabeling (at this point, to be expected, he always is SO
insistently insulting with that charming label), the assertion is that LEGO
originally gave one set of names for sets and changed it *later* to another
set of names. Not "in Australia" but globally, since it is unqualified.

I dispute that. I don't think it was that way at all. I think LEGO, for
whatever misguided reason, chose several names for the same thing at the
same time. (1)

Now let *Ben* either put up (proving his claim that Dark Shark is THE right
name) or clarify and admit he was being unclear, or say nothing... but let
Ben do it, not you, please.

Or let Ben just remain silent, proving he's just a AEEA whinger.

1 - and I hope they never do it ever again, as it's a big waste of effort
and money, as it requires wasteful packaging designs, prevents easy resale
in different countries, causes relatively pointless discussions, etc. etc.