 General / 9089
Re: Some disturbing news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:30:35 GMT

By and large, the service packs suck for our needs (there are some exceptions,
like the gray brick pack, and the black slope pack).  Either the parts are
available cheaper by other means, or the selection in the pack is still too
general to make mass-purchase practical.

My first problem is that a vast majority of the service packs you guys talk
about aren't available here at all. Our parts catalogue is a disgrace.

My second problem is that a vast majority of the tubs and buckets you guys
talk about aren't available here either.

My third problem is that a vast majority of the sets you guys talk about
aren't available over here.

And my final problem is that the sets that are available (Star Wars not
included) are mostly crap!

Conclusion: I'm left with bidding at auctions or having someone purchase sets
in the US on my behalf (1) (more of a problem than you think with the exchange
rate, payment methods and shipping) or I fork out for these crappy sets with
the hope that they'll at least contain some of the parts I'm after. Certainly
they won't be in the quantity I'm after.

Lego are cutting off a vital supply source (no matter how crappy, it's still
partly useful). In essence they're saying "We're not interested in you guy's
(2) wanting to build your own models, you should buy our sets and make ours".
That's not why I buy Lego! I like some of the sets, but I want to make my own
stuff. And I think that more people would buy Lego if they saw some of the
fantastic creations some AFOL's have made (that's why things like MindFest are
so good).

Pete Callaway

(1) Some of you have offered this service to me. I thank you, and may take you
up on this in the near future (before your means of providing this service are
severely reduced).

(2) apologies to the ladies, I tend to use "guy's" as a generic term.