 General / 49979
Re: Now There's an Enthusiast - Hidden Treasure (was Re: The Beeesh)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:27:43 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Adrian Egli wrote:
In lugnet.build.mecha, David Eaton wrote:

(major snippage)

Sorry to have sounded so insulting, I guess. No offense intended. Basically
Adrian's (Drake) post just got me thinking about MOC's that I used to find so
mind-bogglingly awesome that are now so much more commonplace. I remember seeing
our large Endor display at MindFest '99 and thinking how utterly cool it was to
have Star Wars MOC's from at least 6 well-known Lego SW fans. And how everyone
gawked at it for a good hour or so, because we had never seen the likes of a
Lego display that large.

But now? I've been to ... what, 4 BrickFests, god-knows-how-many train shows,
LUG meetings galore, and seen MOC's online from around the globe. So have many
of us. If I saw that same MindFest display now, I'd probably say "Oh, that's
cool I guess," and moved right on.

DaveE

My gawd man!  Are you OK?

Now, I'm not in the mecha crowd but I do get some enjoyment checking out works
by Eric.  What really got me to post here were those last sentences.  You make
it sound like our LEGO world is just another "yea ... whatever ... yea"
experience, like watch news on tv or something.  Let me tell you something- I
come to LUGNET to get away from that.

A suggestion: Don't just look at the whole but examine (REALLY examine) its
parts, features, little functions, etc.  Look at what was done to achieve the
whole.  You just might find something you could use.  It's worked for me.

Adr.

OMG, now I have to reply (uggg sorry!) Honest, Dave, I really don't want you to
feel that way. I promise if you look close, you'll see all kinds of cool little
things packed in small places and what not.

Often times, I just hope someone will notice a small element or part used in an
odd way. Or hidden with just a part of it poking out in to the open.
I rely on great builders like you Dave to notice things that may seem like
minitia, but as AFoL, I know you'll get.

Silly things like Mail boxes in wierd places, mini-fig caps, greebles, chairs,
insectoid legs and other goofy stuff only nuts like us can pick out.

Dig Dave Dig!
I've checked out your MOCs closely to see how you made them.
Without KYA, your an intriguing builder.
Aren't you glad!

Adrian is on to it! Can you hear me on the Left Coast Syide~!!!

P.S. IMHO saying not adding a MOC reply because it adds "white noise" in saying,
"oh that's cool" like everybody else is a cop-out for lurkers.
Each person has a voice, let your voice be heard, let your connection to others
be felt. It might just make someone's day a bit happier.