 General / 29887
  Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I mentioned this in another post this week, but I think that I cannot go to a Legoland until TLC/LD starts selling bulk parts in off colors (light blue, etc). It has been mentioned many times that some folks have gone to a Legoland park and seen all (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) <snip> (...) It is really annoying! Another day I was with my family at a toy store here in Brazil and we saw a Star Wars Lego display. It had this tower made of several clear bricks. I told to my NLW that we could not build it because Lego (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Wow! Gary "Annoyed", "Incoherent with rage", or "frothing at the mouth", what has the world come to! Gary is the communities pillar of strength and sensibility, not to mention being well grownded. Actually I am glad to see this, it makes me feel (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

"Gary Istok" <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message news:3AE9BC46.A47847...ich.edu... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) Annoyed. No. Jealous? Yes, very much so. It would be really nice not to have to buy several copies of a particular set in order to obtain (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

In article <3AE9BC46.A478474F@umich.edu>, Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote on the colors of structures at Legoland and the inability to get bricks in those colors: (...) I haven't, but I've seen pictures from someone who has. I wasn't really (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I got very annoyed, and they've KNOWN about it since opening day. We corraled both a Model Builder and a senior person from TLG that was there and complained that the models on display were torturing us, because we COULD NOT get many of the parts in (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) this. Well, when I visited LL Windsor I found it a little annoying, but not enough to stop me enjoying the models. It certainly wouldn't stop me visiting other LL's either. Kevin ---...--- - Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: (URL) Lego (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Though perhaps not the primary reason, I think TLC may enjoy their LL parks having a unique edge (expanded colors and pieces) for their models -- a reason to visit. This would mesh with their company rule of non-retail elements never getting (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) <snip> YES!!!!!!!! I was at LL last week and I went to the model shop, I got some new girl who I guess messed up and was selling colors she should not have been selling - but I had no idea of this at the time, I thought they were now selling (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.legoland.california)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Colors and shapes available are different everytime I go (once a month) and the master builder shop at the center of the park seems to run on it's own schedual. I've seen tons of them orange and light blue available. I think it may hve to do with (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.legoland.california)

What are "non-retail elements"? Just curious. -- Kenneth A. Drumm Ph.D. "Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message news:3AEBAD2B.785507...ate.com... (...) <snip> (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Do you mean "am"? I hope this dosen't insult you, but you shuold be smart like me R. NICK (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.legoland.california)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Really? Can I go with you next time? I go 2 or 3 times a month and only saw the pink that one time, and was told by thee girl who usually works there, as well as her manager they never sell colors/parts other than the few they show in the (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland.california)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

So what's the chance of one of you locals picking up some light blue bricks/plates for me if they show up one day when I'm NOT there? I'll be there at the end of May, but only for one day, and I'd hate it if I missed them by a day. (...) -- Tom (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.legoland.california)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Elements which are in production by TLC, but not available for sale in sets. For instance, a bluish-green LEGO TECHNIC beam in 1996 was what I'd call, for simplicity sake, a "non-retail" element. Now it is a retail element. I'd use the same (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) To follow up on the point of uniqueness... I think a further advantage of the uniqueness (beyond wow factor for visitors, etc.) is that it becomes virtually impossible to duplicate the experience. You could never probably go out and duplicate (...) (23 years ago, 29-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Miniland is only a small part of the LEGOLAND experience. I doubt we'll have roller coasters and Castle Burgers in our backyards anytime soon. Castle Burgers... Yummm (I swear they taste just like a Whopper). The biggest "problem" they will (...) (23 years ago, 30-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) But that whole attitude seems to be contrary to the signs which are all over the place saying "these models are built with the same bricks available to you [the customer].", which to me implies that the only difference is that TLC can afford (...) (23 years ago, 30-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) ...and this would be exactly why I would think that Lego _should_ sell all the varied parts they use to build their mega-models and their Legoland parks. It's sort of the attraction of auto racing. We look at these guys going a zillion miles (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Tom actually gets to go to LL - what about the rest of us who won't get the chance for the forseeable future? Any chance you "locals" would sell on Brickbay? Please, please, please, please? I would do back-flips for light blue parts for my (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.legoland.california)

"Gary Istok" <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message news:3AE9BC46.A47847...ich.edu... (...) I won't go either, for the same reason. (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) But that's a bloody blatant lie -- or at best a half-truth. (I don't mean that you're lying, I mean LEGOLAND is.) I mean, LEGOLAND can get: * colors that aren't available to the public * older pieces (in some cases) that are no longer (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Similarly, why wouldn't TLC offer these pieces for sale via S@H? They could set the price as high as they wanted, and they wouldn't be competing with themselves if the pieces have never been released before or currently. Dave! (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Actually, the point is that there are no parts made specifically for models built in LEGOLAND (any location). All parts have been avaliable to the consumer at one point in time. There aren't any color/part combos that were never sold, and no (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) It makes sense, but unfortunately isn't true. I have seen parts in Legoland that have never (IFAIK) been in production. One that leaps out is the 2x2x3 corner slope brick in tan (used in dresses on some of the LL-scale figs). Another, really (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Jake: Seriously? Do you mean that every single part that is used in a Legoland model has been available for purchase by Joe Consumer at some point in time (even if it was just a promotional on some ferry traveling between Vunderbagen & (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Parts maybe but colors is not true. Model builders can order parts from Billund in any of 84 (currently, 141 ever) "colors". Note some "colors" contain sparkles or other textures. Many of these have never been sold to the public. A huge number (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Yep, that's what I have been told. I might have misunderstood about the color/part combo, but I am positive about the parts. They might be 20 years old, but at one point ol' Joe Consumer could have picked up up in a store. I will check on the (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I don't want to get into a heated argument here, but Kevin is very right. Legoland has part after part in colors NEVER produced in sets. All you need for proof is to walk around Miniland. While I don't much care what color Lego decides to make (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) I am with Todd and others on this point. I would dispute that claim. I have seen a number of parts in "Maersk(r) light blue" that I am pretty certain have never been sourced into a set or publicly available in bulk. I would challenge you or (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Actually, In the book "The World of Lego Toy's", which, the company I work for published,it states that no special parts were made for Legoland Parks but, special colors were & are used. (might not be verbatim). Jonathan (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Yep, just updating on the info I have been given in the past as an AFOL. As I said earlier in the thread, I am going to check and see if it is just part and color, or part/color combos. It will probably be next week before I have an official (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Well I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth, and say emphatically that there are lots of parts in colors that I have never seen in any set before, especially things that haven't been around for a long time. I remember seeing a Lego model of the (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Jake, They may be feeding you that line, and you may believe it, but it's simply NOT true. Take a very simple example - light blue. There were, what, TWO sets that had lt blue bricks/plates in them previous to this year, both Maersk sets? There is (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) So how do they handle 141 colors with 2 digits? Hex? Octal? ;-) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Plus (although granted this is a new addition) the belville sets... but there's only, like, two pieces in there. -Shiri (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Shiri Dori (<GD82Av.E82@lugnet.com>) wrote at 12:20:55 (...) Are these Maersk pale blue or LoM pale blue? I thought they were the same, until I compared them. (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) I believe that the Maersk sets are still the only sets with *that* light blue color in them. I think there is a general misconception that LOM light blue & Maersk light blue are the same, which they are not. Jonathan (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) They are LOM light blue. Jeff (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Now wait a minute. Why would they *mold* the color number? Is a given mold only used for a single color? I think it makes more sense to use a mold for whatever color you need, instead of having to make a new mold for every color. /Eric McC/ (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) LEGO Foreman: Hey! We need the 2x8 brick mold on the number 17 machine today! LEGO Worker: Sorry boss. We sent that mold to Billund yesterday. You can only make 1x2 plates in white today. LEGO Foreman: OK. What was our total output for the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) I thought that's what they did too. I don't know for sure. I do know *this*, though. It is possible to have a mold that has inserts to allow different numbers to be molded into the parts, you select the right insert at the time you deploy the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  color codes on molds (was: Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.)

(...) [sni] (...) Your scenario makes it clear that it is absurd to be continually switching colors in molds for high volume parts. It is funny, but doesn't address my comment My point is it would be pretty dumb if they couldn't clean out one of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I don't have any bricks close at hand right now, so I can't be totally sure of this, though I believe the 2nd number on the brick corresponds with it's postion in the mold. That's usually how molds are numbered, that way if they find a lot of 02 (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Yep. That corresponds with my experience as well for multipart molds. All I was saying is that one CAN have inserts that vary... I can't recall the exact example at this point but I have seen molded plastic <something or anothers> that had the (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Take a look at older bricks that do not have the part number on them. Other numbers are present--normally 2 digits. I am willing to bet every last Lego brick I own [1] that the numbers molded onto bricks (not the part numbers) are the MOLD (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> wrote in message news:GD9CoD.J5r@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) while (...) Lego (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Wouldn't the presence of LEGO bricks with colors swirled together (I've never seen one (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) *snip* Good point, Mike. When the color recipe is changed over to a new one, the ABS pellets in the hopper feeding the injection molding process will probably begin mixing with the existing pellets from the existing recipe. This should result (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) That and the fact that I have two brand new "Freestyle Door" elements (part 6235), one red and one blue, that have the exact same numbers on them (2-01) on the inside. :) Jeff (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Hi, This point crossdipped to .dear-lego (but, of course, FUT-> here to .general). (...) Hmmmm. You know, (and this is why I've quoted over to .dear-lego) a swirled mid-production-switch brick would be a very excellent little Factory Tour Keepsake (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Wow, what a neat idea! Love it. However I thought their goal was to minimise the number of crosscolored parts during changeover so they may not have that many. How many people take that tour a year, do you think? I bet almost 100% of first (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) *** NOTE: FAN ACCOUNT OF TRIP TO LEGO FACTORY *** When I was in Billund and took a tour of the main production facility, I asked about these swirl bricks. The answer was that they absolutely do not do this. (Maybe at one point in time, but not (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Once again, what they tell the public, and what really happens, differs. I've seen a bag of 50+ swirled bricks/plates in various colors (green/yellow, blue/pink, red/black, and I think a few others) that made it out of one of the factories (MOST (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Procedures change, and there's no reason both of you can't be right here. I've got a mixed-color brick, but that doesn't mean what they told Jake isn't what they do now. James (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Exactly. And, we're starting to delve into some proprietary process control issues that no company will share. Maybe they swirl, maybe they change molds, maybe they bleed excess ABS, maybe they run the hoppers on the mold until empty, etc. Not (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.general)