 General / 29928
Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:09:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Though perhaps not the primary reason, I think TLC may enjoy their LL
parks having a unique edge (expanded colors and pieces) for their models
-- a reason to visit.

To follow up on the point of uniqueness...  I think a further advantage of
the uniqueness (beyond wow factor for visitors, etc.) is that it becomes
virtually impossible to duplicate the experience.  You could never probably
go out and duplicate Disneyworld attractions, but if you had enough pieces
in enough of the cool colors, you _could_ kinda duplicate the LEGOLAND
experience, albeit on a much smaller scale.

What I mean by duplicating comes from a feeling of awe having seen large
train setups from NELUG and other groups.  Certainly today in 2001 the
community is light years ahead of where it was 5-10 years ago in building
large setups -- and the larger and cooler they get, the more it
diminishes LEGOLAND (not that there's anything wrong with that).  TLC may
still actually believe it's in its best interest not to sell bulk parts in
cool colors or bulk parts at truly good prices because of keeping the
experience at LEGOLAND and other places more unique.

Here's the most telling example I can think of (actually two examples):

John's buildings have "LEGOLAND" written all over them when I see those
pictures.  The buildings are so detailed and realistic and look like they
were built from an infinite part supply that it looks (to me) as if they had
been lifted out of LEGOLAND and transported to another place.  I mean that
as a great compliment to John, of course, and insomuch as it also helps LEGO
look good, I bet they are nervous to see such incredibly excellent work
being done outside of the TLC model shops.

--Todd