 General / 30252
Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 14:04:05 GMT

   Hi,

   This point crossdipped to .dear-lego (but, of course,
   FUT-> here to .general).

In lugnet.general, Ed McGlynn writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh writes:

Wouldn't the presence of LEGO bricks with colors swirled together (I've
never seen one but they have been discussed before) verify that the same
mold is used for multiple colors?

Mike

*snip*
Good point, Mike.  When the color recipe is changed over to a new one, the
ABS pellets in the hopper feeding the injection molding process will
probably begin mixing with the existing pellets from the existing recipe.
This should result in a stock of molded pieces with stepped shades of color
that bridge the old and new recipes.  For example, they start running yellow
bricks and change over to red bricks later on.  In between, they would
produce something like an orange brick with some swirls, occlusions, etc.

However, this depends on their process.  Maybe they bleed the yellow ABS
pellets out of the hoppers into some dump bins to be reclaimed later on into
black bricks, and then fill the hoppers up with red pellets to start the new
red recipe.

Maybe they do produce swirled bricks, but they become part of their reclaim
process and get ground up into pellets for use in black bricks later on...

We may never know.  I don't recall anything mentioned about this particular
part of the process when I went through the LEGOLand factory tour at LLC.

   Hmmmm.  You know, (and this is why I've quoted over to .dear-lego)
   a swirled mid-production-switch brick would be a very excellent
   little Factory Tour Keepsake to give to people--each unique, each
   its own "limited edition."  Just a thought--though "off colours"
   could be rather neat for mottled creations.

   all best

   LFB