 General / 30212
Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 15:59:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

But that whole attitude seems to be contrary to the signs which are all
over the place saying "these models are built with the same bricks
available to you [the customer].",

But that's a bloody blatant lie -- or at best a half-truth.  (I don't mean
that you're lying, I mean LEGOLAND is.)

Actually, the point is that there are no parts made specifically for models
built in LEGOLAND (any location). All parts have been avaliable to the
consumer at one point in time. There aren't any color/part combos that were
never sold, and no custom parts were molded in order to make a specific
model. Sure some of the parts used are no longer avaliable on the shelves,
but nobody ever said that LEGOLAND models were built only using parts from
the 2001 product line.

Hope that makes sense.

Jake

Jake:

Seriously?  Do you mean that every single part that is used in a Legoland model
has been available for purchase by Joe Consumer at some point in time (even if
it was just a promotional on some ferry traveling between Vunderbagen &
Flooverhusen?)?

Seriously?!!?  This obviously isn't Legoland, but its the same principle: That
beautiful boat in the Ultimate Lego Book has rigging made from brown minifig
heads; but, the book was published before the Tie Fighter set was produced.
Sure, the brown heads were no doubt in production, but not yet available to the
public.  Prior to the 2001 releases, the reproduction of that ship be a fan
would have been impossible.  What about the 1x4 clear tile atop the windshield
on the red (Chevy?) car on the cover of the book?  When was that available to
the public?

In other words, with due diligence over several decades, along with a bit of
luck (I caught that ferry just in time), I might have actually been able to
accumulate at least one of every single element color/type combination used in a
Legoland model?

james