 General / 30244
30243  |  30245
Subject:
color codes on molds (was: Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 19:57:03 GMT

Matthew Gerber wrote:

Eric McCarthy wrote:
Now wait a minute.  Why would they *mold* the color number?
Is a given mold only used for a single color?
I think it makes more sense to use a mold for whatever
color you need, instead of having to make a new mold for every color.

[sni]
LEGO Foreman: (Looks to the heavens) WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE THE FORESIGHT TO
MAKE MORE MOLDS?!?!?

Your scenario makes it clear that it is absurd to be continually
switching colors in molds for high volume parts.
It is funny, but doesn't address my comment

My point is it would be pretty dumb if they couldn't clean out
one of the white 2x2 molds to make some LoM blue 2x2 bricks
but instead they had to make a new 2x2 brick mold with the right
color number for LoM blue.

Even for high-volume colors, there might be some fluctuation,
like the following:  Foreman: "this month we need 10% more green
2x2s and 10% less black 2x2s."  Worker: "no can do, we only have
5% extra idle 2x2 green molds in stock.  Now if we could switch those
black molds to green..."  Foreman:  "no way, then the color
number would be wrong.  (Looks to the heavens) WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE
THE FORESIGHT TO HAVE A BIG WAREHOUSE FULL OF IDLE MOLDS
WITH ALL COLOR NUMBERS SO WE WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT SHORT?!?!

For low-volume pieces like staircases it makes even
less sense to have separate molds for separate colors.
"We are coming out with a new set (5808) that has a light yellow
staircase, dust off the staircase mold and lets get it going."
"Whoops!  That mold has the black color code; can't use it."
"Darn, we will have to tell Switzerland to get us
a light yellow mold."

/Eric McC/