 General / 15415
Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:38:28 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:

In lugnet.general, Markus Wolf writes:
YOu know, I've kind of taken to finding the old directions on
www.Brickshelf.com and building with what I have.  You won't have all the
minifigs or maybe an exact duplicate, but it's fun seeing how I can modify it
to work for my own purposes.  It's been a great learning exercise for me, as
well as giving me "ownership" of sets I salivated for as a child that I never
had.  I recently built modied 6073.  I still have to buy, borrow, or
substitute pieces for this, but it give me more mileage on my money!

Chow,
Markus

I'm doing that same thing myself. I find it neat to take an older set and
modify it to meet my needs. I swap out some of the older shapes and replace
them with newer style pieces. After that, you lengthen a stud here and shorten
a stud there, replace that canopy and add some computers, and soon you have
your very own model design.

If I may borrow on Star Trek, it's like taking the blueprints for the original
Enterprise and modifying them to make the Enterprise E. Same general concept,
but soooo much nicer.

-Duane

It is interesting to see that others are also "improving" on some original LEGO
concepts.  I took an old LEGO blue castle (from 1961), and made it from a 2 tower
castle into a 4 tower courtyarded castle.  I am working on taking the old '57-'65
ESSO SERVICE set and improving on it, by making it larger, with more garages.
Ditto for the first '66 SHELL SERVICE set.

Gary Istok