 General / 15372
Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:21:42 GMT

YOu know, I've kind of taken to finding the old directions on
www.Brickshelf.com and building with what I have.  You won't have all the
minifigs or maybe an exact duplicate, but it's fun seeing how I can modify it
to work for my own purposes.  It's been a great learning exercise for me, as
well as giving me "ownership" of sets I salivated for as a child that I never
had.  I recently built modied 6073.  I still have to buy, borrow, or
substitute pieces for this, but it give me more mileage on my money!

Chow,
Markus

In lugnet.general, Richard W. Schamus writes:
In lugnet.general, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:

I'm aware that the question itself is almost sacreligious, but it is a • (semi)
serious one, going with the assumption that the LEGO-habit isn't causing
financial problems.

Richard

I think so.  I've noticed that for me, buying Lego begets more buying.  It is
almost addictive.  There have been times recently when I have bought 3 or • more
sets over a weekend, but nonetheless, the next time I'm in a store I find • myself
looking for more.  I have to make a point of reminding myself that I need to • be
satisfied with what I have.  It isn't even about overspending myself; I • rarely
do that in regards to Lego; rather, it is an issue of being a contented • person.
The drawback to the Lego hobby is that enough seems to never be enough.
(Although it is nice to have enough pieces to do justice to a big project.)

In a lot of ways you are right on both counts.
For many years I restricted my purchases due to lower income and a growing
family, and other concerns. In that time period, I was still able to build
some fantastic things, (to me anyway). But as time went by, especially in the
past couple of years, I and others have seen the junorizaton of almost
everything. We all lament the great stuff that is gone. Heck, I was in
ridicule of the Ninja and the Fright Force stuff once I found out "real"
castle had disapeared. Not to mention Pirates. So, now it's a mater of, "I
MUST GET EVERYTHING THAT I CAN, WHILE I CAN BEFORE IT REALLY GOES TO HELL!"
That means the Ninja stuff too, as well as Insectoids and UFO.

Last year I got myself the 2 previous train sets, #4565, and #4559 because I
KNEW that they were not gonna be available for long and if they were
available, (ebay) they would be astronomical. I missed the Classic Train set
#3225.

I guess for me, that there is a sense of urgency that I have not felt before.
Get them while you can, or you may find yourself saying, "I wish that they
would bring back Fright Knights" And as with Castle you might just get your
wish.

Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****