 General / 15357
Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:26:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Markus Wolf writes:
   I have to be careful I don't fall into the "Ugly American" trap, assuming
that most who are dealing with this issue are Americans.  The main pitfall of
our culture is overindulgence.  We overeat, overspend, and fill our homes,
garages and barns with tons of stuff we'll never need.
   Let me throw a curve ball into the thought process.  If I don't have the
piece I want, it forces me to become more creative in my approach to building
my project.  The orphan child in Brazil who has no toys at all, is much more
creative then I am.  He excited when he finds a glass bottle and plays in the
sand, pretending it's a bulldozer or a tugboat or a tower.  But if I don't
have 42 2x2 spare black tiles, I get upset because I can't build the Fifties
Cafe' I'm dreaming of.
   Maybe the secret of Lego isn't buying enough parts to do make whatever I
want, but to figure out how to do what I want with the parts I have.  When I
was a kid, I only got Legos at Christmas and on my birthday, and I cherished
every set wholeheartedly.  Now I want to buy duplicate sets, or complete a
theme collection, while complaining about the engineering of the Lego
Company.  In all my stuff, I lost my sense of wonder.
   I dare you to NOT buy every set you want.  I dare you to put a
ridiculously low monthly budget toward your Lego hobby and see how it effects
the next time you buy a set.

I completely agree with you.  When I am judicial with my Lego expenditures, each
set that I get means much more to me.  I'd like to keep some of the innocent joy
that Lego brought me when I was a child; when I didn't care much at all about
piece count.