 General / 15199
  Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

I'm aware that the question itself is almost sacreligious, but it is a (semi) serious one, going with the assumption that the LEGO-habit isn't causing financial problems. Richard (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Not as long as you still have money and still have space to put it all! ;-) (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Having just spent two hours yesterday looking for a piece that I needed for my current project, I'd have to say that it is indeed possible to have too much Lego! Having said that though, I don't think that you could get me to give any of it up! It (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

You don't have too much Lego, you just need a better system for sorting :) Silas Troy Cefaratti wrote in message ... (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Actually, i'm pretty anal about the sorting. Just about everything is sorted down to part type and color. I've got TONS of plastic containers for this. The problem was that the part I was looking for was from the part of my collection from (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Nah, what you need to do is organize your boxes of sorted parts, catalogue them into an index, then database your index, and arrange the results cross-referencing to your original list, and sort the output. ;) FUT lugnet.geek.babble James (URL) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Just 2 hours? Talk to me when it takes WEEKS ;-) Of course, most of that is not sheer bulk, but disorganization. If I can ever stop buying long enough to clear out some floor space, I'm going to sort ALL of the spare parts once and for all, and put (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Yes, it is very easy to have too much LEGO. For me in particular, I always seem to have way too many wheels and wheel elements, too many finger hinges, too many blue and yellow bricks, too many trans-yellow 1x1 round plates, too many Willa the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Your description below echos my own problems. Especially the sorting configurations. I just bought some RubberMaid tubs, and already I'm ready for more. It's a never ending cycle. You know what you want to build, but to get certain peices you have (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Well, I'm in the middle of moving it. So my wife says Yes, my back says Definitely, my brain says Maybe... but my heart says NO! This is one place where I am gonna go with emotion. Besides once I am in the new place I will be able to enjoy it even (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Now that's something I can relate to. Every time I manage to get my Lego organised in a meaningful way, my collection expands so that the old sorting system overflows. It's a never ending battle to deal with the ramifications of my addiction... (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

Ah yes the "I'm never going to use these pieces" bucket. I've got one of those, and it is confusing. I also have the problem with the pieces that I rarely use since I can't remember quite how I sorted them. Silas Troy Cefaratti wrote in message ... (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Actually, Yes, you *can* have too many Lego Pieces. However, this won't happen until you can say, "What am I gonna do with all these Clear 2x2 tiles?" ;) Of, Course, this is assuming the owner of said tiles has already made an Olympic Ice (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Yes, but that would only happen if: a.Ninety-Nine point nine percent oil on the planet of earth has been converted to plastic for LEGO brick and you have created an oil shortage that willput oil prices up to 10 million dollar per gallon. or... (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Here's an example... This is a result of one shopping day at the LEGO outlet... check it out: (URL) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) And it takes _forever_ to resort a bucket _full_ of pieces...esp. if they are plates (even more so if they are 1x plates...I know, it took a full day to do my bin of 1x plates, sorting out most of the round/tiles) I have around 33 different (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) than that in my Stratus on the way back from Colorado, PLUS a stereo, some clothes, and a bunch of other stuff. And me, of course. I DO like the ersatz TV reality show badging though... (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I agree, although those pictures were actually of two cars. KL (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) TLC packs a lot of air in their stuff. when I say I had more in my car than what I saw in those pics, I meant it. I managed to get 3 5571s worth of parts just in the space underneath my spare tire in the wheel well and another 2 or 3 in the (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I think that if yuo have way too many LEGO bricks, you may actually limit your creativity. Creativity typically arises when you have limitations of some sort, in my opinion. Byt this is probably a controversial theme! Fredrik (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) It's for just those sorts of situations that I drive a minivan. ;) James (URL) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) When I expect to buying in quantity, I always try to take the pick up truck. Ford F150, long bed with a topper. It can carry more Lego than my CC can handle ;) (...) LOL! (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) inside.jpg & trunk.jpg - You couldn't wait to get home before you started building? Now that is dedication. it might also explain why the cops pulled you over. 8) inside3.jpg - You didn't buckle your LEGOs in?! What if you got into a crash?? (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I agree! Sometimes when I'm building I don't know where to start! And my collection is honestly puny compared to so many of the people here on LUGNET. (I use this fact to keep the NLSO appeased, or at least mollified.) Some of the most fun I (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I agree with Tom, sometimes it can take weeks. It took me 7 years to realize that I had a duplicate of a 1962 wooden box set from Germany! But sometimes someone will as to trade/sell for something that will take me a long long time to find. (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) This is incorrect. The pictures should be captioned "too small of a car." -JDF (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

Richard Franks <spontificus@__nospa...yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Fq8nGA.BHJ@lugnet.com... (...) (semi) (...) Funny that you posted this on the same day I went through (another?) "I have too much Lego/I need more Lego" cycle. I spent a good (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message news:qrd1z67gdxd.fsf....uio.no... (...) I'd definitely agree with you here. Shelves full of sorted Lego have proved an impediment to building, especially for my kids. So I try to keep (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I think so. I've noticed that for me, buying Lego begets more buying. It is almost addictive. There have been times recently when I have bought 3 or more sets over a weekend, but nonetheless, the next time I'm in a store I find myself looking (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

I have to be careful I don't fall into the "Ugly American" trap, assuming that most who are dealing with this issue are Americans. The main pitfall of our culture is overindulgence. We overeat, overspend, and fill our homes, garages and barns with (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Creativity Limitations Depend on the Source.

(...) I think there are two sides to it, it isn't always a bad thing. Sure, if you just sit down with a pile of LEGO without prior inspiration, it's better to have a bin unsorted, so you can dig around and let the muse take you. But if you have an (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I completely agree with you. When I am judicial with my Lego expenditures, each set that I get means much more to me. I'd like to keep some of the innocent joy that Lego brought me when I was a child; when I didn't care much at all about piece (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) effects (...) It then becomes a painfully difficult decision: Do I spend the money now, or save it until I have enough to buy a larger set? If I spend it, do I buy bricks? Try for completion in a theme? Buy multiple sets for parts? Buy sets (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Here's what I do, not as a law, but as a rule of thumb. I decide what it is I really want before hand. I avoid impulsive shopping unless I see a clearance that's really cool. My next lego set is the River Expedition from the Adventure series. I know (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) myself (...) be (...) person. (...) In a lot of ways you are right on both counts. For many years I restricted my purchases due to lower income and a growing family, and other concerns. In that time period, I was still able to build some (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Boy do I know that feeling... That's what's behind my buying habits. Fortuanately, setwise, I'm reaching the point of having much of what I want. I've got almost all the pirate stuff, in plenty of quantity, I've got most of the castle stuff I (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

YOu know, I've kind of taken to finding the old directions on www.Brickshelf.com and building with what I have. You won't have all the minifigs or maybe an exact duplicate, but it's fun seeing how I can modify it to work for my own purposes. It's (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I've thought about the point that you raised regarding getting the Legos while, as the saying goes, "the getting is good." I seriously wonder whether or not there will be anything that I care to buy 5 years from now. I fear that my collection (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) Agreed again, on all points. (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I'm doing that same thing myself. I find it neat to take an older set and modify it to meet my needs. I swap out some of the older shapes and replace them with newer style pieces. After that, you lengthen a stud here and shorten a stud there, (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Richard Schamus (<FqEEIJ.Dno@lugnet.com>) wrote at 19:37:31 (...) Yep. I had that feeling all last year, and spent a fortune. Now I think I *do* have too much LEGO, but I still run out of the parts I need :( The sense that LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) It is interesting to see that others are also "improving" on some original LEGO concepts. I took an old LEGO blue castle (from 1961), and made it from a 2 tower castle into a 4 tower courtyarded castle. I am working on taking the old '57-'65 (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) (semi) (...) is (...) more (...) rarely (...) while, (...) Why???" "Grandpa, (...) For me it's not a question of "I should have stockpiled pieces," (like clear bricks,) it has always been, until recently, a question of "Can I even get this set (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

Interesting subthread. I guess I'm from the "build it per directions" school. I tend to build stuff to learn what there is to learn, then I go off and build my own stuff from scratch. Only very rarely do I modify TLC sets into something improved... (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is it possible to have too much LEGO?

(...) I (...) This is how I tend to build. Meaning that when I design something in my head, it's always thought out based on the pieces that I currently have. If I don't have enough pieces to do something, instead of buying more of those pieces, I (...) (24 years ago, 28-Feb-00, to lugnet.general)