 General / 14222
Re: Plagiarism again (Was: Can we say, "Plagiarism"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:56:32 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:
But how would they know that the kid pictured was the kid who sent in the
application?

The safest way to determine that no cheating has taken place might be to cache
every LEGO image on the internet and compare using image recognition. A little
silly considering todays technology, but it's not too far off. Or maybe people
who post LEGO images could request that TLC keeps up-to-date with the images
on their site. It may be overkill, but otherwise is there a fool-proof way to
conduct LEGO-building competions on the internet?

  Maybe applicants could contact Lego in advance of model submission, and Lego
could then send a visually distinctive (by color, perhaps, or image pattern?)
voucher that must appear in the picture with the prospective model.  This
probably isn't cost-effective, though.

   Dave!

I would say more cost effective than having lawyers sic'd on em..  The
way they get about someone invading their rights, they should expect the
same from someone who's rights they violate with this. Granted it's not
their fault in some respects, though they are posting Susan's picture
without her permission.. so they are at fault and are liable.. I would
think they'd want a better way to keep their butts out of the poverbial
sling.. Cost effective or not, they need to do something this isn't the
first time this has happened, and you would have thought they'd have
done something after the first time.

Just my thoughts of course. Lego needs to learn the golden rule, Treat
others as you'd want to be treated... Since they are so ready to say
sic-em to a lawyer, they should expect that back..

Tamy

--
Keep on Bricken'
-Tamy