 General / 14033
Re: Plagiarism again (Was: Can we say, "Plagiarism"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:34:40 GMT

Susan Hoover <hoover@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Well, I finally wandered over to the Theme Gallery today, as a result
of reading another thread (<http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=13950>),
and I have to say that I really like the November winner, submitted by
mojo_z, 14, of Canada.  That is, I like the model, probably because
it's MINE.  It's the Trojan Horse that won the grand prize in Joe
Lauher's "Wheeled Vehicle" contest back in the summer of 1995.  See
entry 17 at <http://xray3.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/lego/entries.html>,
winners at <http://xray3.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/lego/winners.html>.

The punk who submitted my model as his has a lot of nerve.  This is
clearly not a case of "he liked the model and decided to build his
own".  He didn't even edit the images that he stole.  Check out
<http://www.lego.com/gallery/theme/famehall.asp> and look at the
November winner, and compare it to the bottom half of
<http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/lego/horse1-4.jpg>.

Perhaps I was a bit presumptuous but I emailed TLC, explaining that you had
been plagiarized and asking that they quickly resolve this issue by pulling
the offending entry.  I also pointed out that their hosting of your picture
violates copyright laws, and requested that they put a direct link on their
'Theme Gallery' web page for reporting such issues (as this will probably
happen again).  My thought was that if enough people say, "hey, this is a
problem and you need to address it," TLC will do the right thing and do it
quickly.  I apologize in advance if I'm sticking my snout where it doesn't
belong and I hope you're able to quickly resolve this matter to your
satisfaction.

  -Doug

^V^^V^
I am:  WickedDamraska@Netscape.net.  Nix 'Wicked' to reply.