 General / 14220
Re: Plagiarism again (Was: Can we say, "Plagiarism"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:22:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:
But how would they know that the kid pictured was the kid who sent in the
application?

The safest way to determine that no cheating has taken place might be to cache
every LEGO image on the internet and compare using image recognition. A little
silly considering todays technology, but it's not too far off. Or maybe people
who post LEGO images could request that TLC keeps up-to-date with the images
on their site. It may be overkill, but otherwise is there a fool-proof way to
conduct LEGO-building competions on the internet?

  Maybe applicants could contact Lego in advance of model submission, and Lego
could then send a visually distinctive (by color, perhaps, or image pattern?)
voucher that must appear in the picture with the prospective model.  This
probably isn't cost-effective, though.

   Dave!