 Castle / 6349
Re: Castle Accesseries for Knight's Kingdom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:29:12 GMT

I too think a Lego/Tolkien team up would be great.  The Orcs, Trolls, and
Hobbits would be lots of fun.  But I think the closest we will get will be
the Harry Potter theme.  More than likely Tolkien will be considered too
grown-up for Lego's target consumers (ie, not us AFOL).

  I don't know that it's "too grown-up," but I don't think Tolkien is as
present in the popular consciousness as Harry Potter.  That's not to say
Tolkien isn't the foundation of modern fantasy, but I think the average child
today is vastly more familiar with Potter than with Middle Earth.
  For that reason, if a marketing choice were to be made between the two, it
only makes sense for TLC to go with the more identifiable product line.  As
far as marketability, MERP has never had especially vigorous sales figures,
and much of the recent LotR action figure line is gathering dust at various
retail outlets.  Again, this is not to decry Tolkien's contribution to the
genre, but it doesn't seem like the kind of "sure thing" TLC would seemingly
prefer to pursue.

     Dave!