 Off-Topic / Debate / 6569
Re: Castle Accesseries for Knight's Kingdom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:45:56 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
  I understand also the "one fish/two fish--one LEGO/two LEGO" reasoning, but
it can hardly be denied that the English language holds some precendent for
pluralization by the addition of an "S".  If a person refers to a single brick
as a LEGO, I think the person can be forgiven for making the mistake,
especially if he hasn't heard the TLC caution to the contrary.

This has nothing to due with the English language's rules for
pluralization.  It's a legal issue of trademark dilution.  By referring
to their products as LEGO bricks, LEGO building toys, etc., the Lego
Company is trying to avoid having their trademark turn into a generic
noun (for example, Kleenex, Band-Aid, etc. are brands of products whose
names have over time come to refer to any such product, rather than one
particular brand)

LEGO is trying to avoid having people call their plastic bricks "Legos"
because then people will be more inclined to call clone bricks by the
same name (Megablocks brand "Legos") leading to trademark dilution.

--
Tim Buchheim