 Off-Topic / Debate / 6565
Re: Castle Accesseries for Knight's Kingdom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 01:30:44 GMT

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:19:20 GMT, "Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Richard Sperber writes:

Well, if TLC wants to bring legos into the realm of collectors (ie. the chrome
and ninja sets, along with the Minifigs Collections) then they appear to be
targeting the older consumer also.

Agreed, if they want us older folks to buy more, they have to target
us more, and also don't jack the price on us just because we are
older(we CAN do the math).

We've all heard the cautions from TLC that "LEGO" is a term of intellectual
property and should be preserved intact, rather than becoming diluted through
such terms as "LEGOs," "lego," or "legos."  Strictly speaking, I respect that,
but in reality and in practice I've never heard anyone actually refer to the
bricks in the "correct" way.  Everyone in my workplace who knows of my Lego
habit speaks of "Legos," and workers at retail outlets likewise refer to them
in the incorrect plural.  For that matter, sale circulars and even electronic
media advertise "Legos 10% off" and the like.

Actually I *DO* use LEGO as both a singular and plural, have for a
while now, legos just SOUNDS silly to me.

My question is this: at what point does TLC's request for product name
sovereignty lapse before the pressures of common usage?  Is it enough for them
simply to assert LEGO as the correct form?  Does this assertion protect their
copyright from dilution?  Don't get me wrong; I'm not disputing their right to
name their product whatever they want, nor their right to protect the identity
of their intellectual property.
I know the convention here on LUGNet is to use LEGO as both singular and
plural, and that's certainly polite.  I wonder, though, how widespread that
consideration truly is outside of the LUGNet community.
By the way, I'm absolutely not picking on Richard for using the term, since
it may easily have been a typo.  The usage is overwhelmingly common in my
experience, for whatever reason.
I think part of the problem is that, right or wrong, LEGO is identified both
as a brand name and a single product, as opposed to Hasbro, for instance,
which also makes action figures.  When I was younger, it never occurred to me
to say that I was playing with Hasbros instead of GI Joe figures, but the very
nature of LEGO--and its myriad bricks--sort of implied a plural term to me.
And, apparently, the public in general.
Just some idle thoughts.  I know this has been discussed at length
previously, but it stirred in my brain and I thought I'd share.

    Dave!

The only thing I'd do is move further discussion out of .castle...
other than that why not discuss it more?  Its not like its a closed
topic or anything.

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle!