 Castle / 19481
Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:13:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Mark Sandlin wrote:

   Johnny Mnemonic was based on a short story by William Gibson. It bombed at the theatre, because I think most people just didn’t get it. Yeah, it’s corny, but one of my guilty pleasures. I think its corniness is one of the things I like about it. :D

Ah, the old “didn’t get” it trump card. What about those of us who did get it (and paid to see it in the theater!) but still didn’t like it? 8^)

It was cool to see Henry Rollins as a streetdoc, though. And the monofilament whip was nifty...

Actually, the monofilament whip was a HUGE letdown for me - in fact, given that everyone else I knew had already seen the movie and told me not to see it because it was crap, I went in with very low expectations for the movie as whole, and on the whole it wasn’t such a bad experience.

But the book’s description of the use of the whip, given that you can’t really see the filament, conjured up this really vivid and cool image of the wielder making gestures and people’s heads/appendages falling off. Then in the actual movie they had some lame-looking neon-glo plastic string like those necklaces kids buy at carnivals... it was all too much.

Then again, the hilariously mis-cast Dolph Lundgren was a plus. :-)

Cheers,