 Castle / 19431
Re: StudWars presents : .castle vs. .space !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 02:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Paul Baulch wrote:
   I can explain it. It derives from the literary rivalry between fantasy and sci-fi. The fantasy nerds and sci-fi nerds have always each been claiming superiority over the others’ literary genre.

I don’t think I’ve ever personally experienced that. Maybe it’s a result of coming from a more enlightened geekdom that embraces both (and sometimes combines them). Might come from growing up on Pern novels (which, ironically, the local library labelled sci-fi...except for Dragonsdawn, which was labelled fantasy).

   Hollywood was on sci-fi’s side for a long time...

Spaceship sets are a lot easier to build realistically than dragons. Growing up I usually preferred to watch sci-fi and read fantasy because sci-fi special effects are always cooler to watch than to read, and fantasy was rarely improved by the transfer to film. That’s why there are so many more successful original sci-fi movies and TV series than fantasy.

   and our final (rough) tally is two flawed versions of Dune and some Philip K. Dick adaptations of varying quality (did I miss a big literary adaptation somewhere?).

Three Dune transfers, actually (two of book 1 and one of the 2nd/3rd combined). I hesitate to mention it, but there was a travesty of an adaptation of Nightfall (excellent book, btw). Oh, and you missed 2001/2010, but hardcore sci-fi is about as popular with normals as the LotR trilogy would have been if they’d stuck to Tolkien’s original dialogue. Contact kinda falls in with the 20xx pair, but the movie was seriously toned down from the book. Um...lessee, Bladerunner was based on a short story, so that sorta counts (certainly more than Alien, which was based on a single painting). I’m sure there are more that I’m just not thinking of right now. They just don’t stand out as much because there are so many more sci-fi movies/series than there are fantasy ones that they tend to blend in a lot more.

   Then the fantasy nerds got their best series of fantasy novels made into the best movie trilogy in history. No comparison really. *shrug*

There are reportedly a number of original and adapted fantasy movies in the works that hope to ride LotR’s coattails. David Farland’s recently completed Runelord quartet is set to be adapted for a film trilogy (though it will be a low-budget affair produced in the same area as the two recent Dune miniseries), and there were a couple others (both original and adapted) that I can’t recall offhand.