 Castle / 19451
Re: StudWars presents : .castle vs. .space !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:59:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark de Kock wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Ley Ward wrote: • Snip
   There is also a greater fantasy element in Castle and Space.

What !? You want to say it’s NOT real? I believe that about .castle, but space? You serious?

//\ark “next you gonna say the minifig isn’t realy alive!” de Kock

Hey //\ark, Me? Serious? Yes and no...

The fantasy element is very real, but by that I mean that if you can imagine it and build it then it becomes real. There is a vast stock of inspiration out there in books and movies for Castle and Space themed creations. It’s all imagination brought to life, even to the extent of new and/or conflicting laws of physics. Fleebnorks are real thanks to Mark Sandlin and they’ve probably gotten more attention or mention than his formidable body of work. And, that’s just one example.

The fantasy element also appears as some very entertaining stories in progress within the .space community. It’s a collective storytelling adventure that I, for one, am greatly enjoying; it’s like a very elaborate game of exquisite corpse.(1)

There is not quite so much latitude in the world of Trains etc. This is not a criticism of Train and Town creations. I am constantly amazed at the level of verisimilitude achieved by many of the Train builders, and there’s some very convincing architecture out there tooin both Town and Castle. I think that re-creating something real in Lego is quite a challenge. There are also some mighty impressive designs in Space and Castle which are based on real things (either out in the real world or in movies.) I do, however, find myself especially drawn to the stuff that comes directly from imagination. There are many builders working in the Space theme who have created some amazing MOCs which could rival many movies and even books. I hesitate to make a list and leave someone out, but I believe we know who they are, and we each have our favourites.

In a popularity contest, I’m inclined to vote for both or all themes, because there’s room for all of them, but I’ve been most entertained by .space recently.

Well I think that’s far enough off topic for now. Of course minifigs are alive, but not so alive as to take us humans to court over “The Sorting” ;-)

Peace and real fantasy or fantastic reality,

Professor Whateverly

(1) A definition of exquisite corpse is here in case you were wondering.