 Space / 31677
Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 04:43:15 GMT

In lugnet.space, Erik Olson wrote:
   Gully Foyle is...the original Joker AND Batman in one

That would be a bit difficult, since his story wasn’t published until 1956, 17 years after Batman first graced the cover of Detective Comics #32, and 16 years after the Joker was introduced in Batman #1. Ironically enough, the first Joker story was reprinted in 1956.

   Think of it as “Les Miserables” meets “Count of Monte Cristo” in space, with a dash of James Bond and bouquet of Klingon.

From what I hear, it’s basically just a rewrite of CoMC set in space, much like the long-standing tradition of reinterpreting Shakespeare for alternate settings, such as West Side Story and The Lion King. When a movie is based on a reinterpretation of classical literature, it’s usually adapted directly into the movie, not taken from a second-hand source. That’s not to say that it can’t happen, nor that it wouldn’t be successful if it did. It’s just not likely to happen, and with a book that’s been around for 48 years, isn’t commonly found on bookstore shelves, and was written by someone who’s not a household name after all these years, it’s even less likely.

Now, if you want a modern story that truly deserves cinematic treatment, read This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. It’s got five of the most disparate personalities forced to work together...and that’s just the main character. It’s got some of the most unearthly aliens...and they’re all human. It’s also the only original novel that I can think of that includes two completely unrelated methods of FTL travel...but one of them is a complete mystery to the characters, and the other is a complete mystery to the readers. It’s got backstabbing, corporate raiders, backstabbing, mystery, backstabbing, adventure, backstabbing, no sappy love story, backstabbing, multiple intriguing narrative styles, backstabbing, two plots that work (where many novels struggle to achieve one), and more backstabbing. You can’t trust anyone in this story, and the main character can’t afford to.