 Castle / 19460
Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Allister McLaren wrote:
   I’m pretty excited about this too, but it’s probably a few years away from the screen. It looks like they’ve only aquired the right’s to Ender’s Game and Ender’s Shadow, and combining them to make one film.

Bicentennial Man was (not faithfully) adapted from Asimov’s short story of the same name, as well as his novel The Positronic Man.

Supposedly there are talks of doing something with Asimov’s Foundation series, and I Robot is currently filming (but only looks to be loosely following any of Asimov’s stories)

-Grand Admiral
.space Curator

I read a script once of a proposed movie based upon Isaac Asimov’s short stories that never got to filming.

The explanation was that Asimov’s stories are very adult, concerning deeper issues and themes than most Hollywood sci-fi. Unfortunately, the attitude in Hollywood seems to be that if you’ve got a big budget, then there’d better be some stuff exploding.

I’ll see if I can find that script again. It was very interesting. Hopefully it’s at my local library rather than my old high school. I don’t think it was that long ago that I read it.