 Castle / 19430
Re: StudWars presents : .castle vs. .space !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Terry Prosper wrote:

That’s the thing here. There’s a rivalry between .space and .castle that I can’t explain, that I don’t fully understand, but it’s there. People laugh about it, people make jokes, etc.

I can explain it. It derives from the literary rivalry between fantasy and sci-fi. The fantasy nerds and sci-fi nerds have always each been claiming superiority over the others’ literary genre. I remember the second-last time I bought a sci-fi novel, the guy at the counter said to me in all seriousness, “gee why are you reading sci-fi, it’s crap! You should be reading fantasy!”. I laughed at him.

Hollywood was on sci-fi’s side for a long time... and our final (rough) tally is two flawed versions of Dune and some Philip K. Dick adaptations of varying quality (did I miss a big literary adaptation somewhere?).

Then the fantasy nerds got their best series of fantasy novels made into the best movie trilogy in history. No comparison really. *shrug*

Cheers,