 CAD / Development / 3690
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:23:46 GMT

Don Heyse:

My preference is all lower-case (mostly from an aesthetic
point of view), which generally is more readable than upper-case.

If you go way back to the beginning of this thread you'll see that my
PERSONAL preference is also lower case, because it's easier to type, easier
to read, etc.

Sorry, I had forgotten that.

But I seem to recall a debate a while ago about the rights
to distribute modified versions of the original parts archives.  I was under
the impression that they must be distributed unaltered,
which would leave the PARTS and P dat files in uppercase.

I am sure we can get the Jessimans to accept a repackaging
of that kind (if we agree on it).

Whenever I port something, and I have
done this before, I try to make the ported program fit the original
environment as much as possible even when it disagrees with my personal
preferences.

A very sensible strategy.

Not difficult, agreed, but is it legal?

We would have to have it approved by the Jessimans.

Again my personal preference is
lowercase, but I'm not convinced I can distribute a modified version of
the parts archives which I believe are in uppercase.  Has anyone unarjed
(or whatever program is used) the archives in LINUX to see if they actually
come out in uppercase?

I can't get my Linux unarj to handle the executable ARJ files.

I don't see how you can FORCE people to use lower case.  You can SUGGEST
it and point out the ramifications of using mixed case.  You can even go so
far as to RECOMMEND it as a really good idea.

Yes.

You could even recommend that programs that create LDraw
files store them with lower (or upper) case names.

But people working in case-insensitive filesystems will
always make mistakes.

Therefore it is preferred, if the tools can help people
remembering.

Your best bet is to make a recommended standard for
personal DAT files, put it in a FAQ, and point it out in
LUGNET when people are inconsistent.

Yes.

  No matter how file and directory names are written in
  LDraw files, they shall be converted to lower-case
  in comunication with the operating system and other
  programs.

Once again, I don't think you can force people to store their own personal
files in any particular way.

This is an advice to the programmers of tools that process
LDraw files.

You are correct that we can't force people to do anything,
but it shouldn't prevent us from formulating a sensible
addition to the LDraw specification, now that it is needed.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:   <URL: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Tog/ >    --