 CAD / Development / 3681
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:31:42 GMT

Rui:

Why don't we just define filenames are case-sensitive, and allow for an
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I presume you mean "mixed case". We can't choose between
case-sensitive and case-insensitive.

  I meant exactly CASE-SENSITIVE.
  and by case-sensitive I mean "model.dat" is different from "Model.dat".

That is not possible, since some DAT renderers work with
case-insensitive file systems.

  And why can't we choose between ?

Because it is a matter of the file system and the rendering
program has to live with that.

I am not sure of that. There are many good reasons for
working with case-insensitive file systems.

Could you back up that statement with some GOOD reasons?

Most languages consider a word the same no matter whether it
is written in upper or lower case.

This means that most people can't see why there is a
difference between a file named "Model" and a file named
"model".

You can derive from a case-sensitive filename (string) un upper or lower
case string, to suit a particular case-insensitive system (which usually
converts to all 'lower' or all 'UPPER' case and then uses this string to
do its deeds).

Yes.

So we can allow people to write file names _in_the_DAT_files_
however they want, _if_ we have decided how to _store_ the
files on the file system.

But you CAN't derive from a case-INsensitive representation (all 'lower',
all 'UPPER' or MiXeD-case) the actual pseudo correct name for a
case-sensitive representation, since the same case-INsensitive string
could reference distinct filenames in a case-sensitive system, You can't
figure out which.

Correct. Therefore it is a bad idea to store files with
mixed-case names on the file system.

Cheech, too much words to explain such a simple thing, am I'complicated or
natural language as a long way to learn yet ? ;)

It might also be easier if you didn't have to write it in
English (but I don't understand Portugese).

My personal preference is lower case.

Mine is case-insensitive.

I Goofed here, I meant CASE-SENSITIVE

Can't! Too many people are running LDraw on DOS/FAT which
doesn't allow case-sensitive file names.

That is not an option. Our choice has to work on both
case-sensitive and case-insensitive file systems.

  Why ?  If we keep the filenames different in a case-S(ensitive) systems
than it will be fully portable to a case-I(nsensitive) systems, and will
allow for future improvements.

Yes, but most people work on case-insensitive file systems,
and their DAT files are likely to be unusable on
case-sensitive file systems.

Mixed case should be allowed (compatible with case sensitive), but
all people who work on case-sensitive systems, should strive to use the
correct name when referencing a file inside a .dat, or their files won't
be correctly viewed.

People using case-sensitive file systems will notice this
automatically. The problem is people working on
case-insensitive file systems, who don't think of other
kinds of file systems.

  As long as the ldraw distribution has the correct case-S representation,
there will be no problem, and every new file submitted as official should
be checked before release.

The LDraw distribution is currently packaged on a
case-insensitive file system (Steve, correct me if I am
wrong), so this would be very impractical.

All this can be handled, if we decide to store the files
consistently with either upper or lower case names.

  What would be the real benefit !

It would be possible to transfer LDraw'ings from
case-insensitive to case-sensitive file systems without
problems.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --