 CAD / Development / 3664
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:31:12 GMT

Don Heyse:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:

So the real, current standard is that part-filenames are case-insensitive.

Actually the problem with mixed case inside the files is easily fixed by
one line of code in the program that either UPPERCASES or lowercases the
filename (and directory: P, PARTS, or MODELS) before attempting to open
the file.  However you need to know before compiling the program which
way the files are named on the disk.

I think we should decide how the files should be stored
(upper, lower, or mixed case), and then append that to the
DAT format specification.

My personal preference is lower case.

Mixed case should be allowed in DAT files no matter which
rule we choose for the external file names, but in case we
allow mixed case external file names, we will have some
problems with files from people who work on case insensitive
file systems.

The fact that the archives currently are stored with upper
case name does not have to limit our choice. They can be
repackaged without too much work.

The MPD Splitter [1], and other programs that create DAT
files, should of cause be modified, so they store files
according to the guidelines we agree on.

Play well,

Jacob

PS: This doesn't really matter for people who only use DOS
    and/or Windows.

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:  <URL: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Skibe/ >   --