 CAD / Development / 3652
3651  |  3653
Subject:
Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:24:31 GMT

If anyone is interested, I've started a port of Ldlite to OPenGl and
linux.  So far I've only gotten the rendering part working, and only
with a fixed viewpoint, but the images look pretty close to ldlite for
windows.  I suppose the next step is to get the command line parsing
and menus working so I can change the viewpoint.  And of course the
event loop could use some work as well.

If you want to play, I dumped a snapshot of the current mess at
http://www.geocities.com/dheyse for now.  You can find source for both
Windows and linux OpenGL versions there.

Now for the questions.  Have we standardized on Uppercase filenames for
the DAT files distributed with ldraw and the various updates?  The linux
version worked OK when I had my ldraw directory smbmounted from a windows
machine on the network, and apparently some folks have had success with
FAT32 filesystems.  However when I copied the ldraw directory to the ext2
(case sensitive) filesystem on my linux box not all of the files were
found.  There must be some lowercase filenames in some of the DAT files.

I got it to work again by uppercasing all filenames before opening them,
but it seems like now is as good a time as ever to set a standard that
works with case sensitive filesystems.  I personally like lowercase since
that's what I'm used to, and I don't have to remember to press the shift
key when working with the files by hand.  Also I think the files are
actually stored in lower case in the DOS/FAT32 filesystem unless you
specifically uppercase them.  (I could be wrong here)  Either way we
should try to be consistent.

Don