 CAD / Development / 3729
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:47:31 GMT

Steve:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Another thing is that I would prefer to use gzipped tar or
MPD as the distribution format on Linux. I couldn't figure
out how to handle the executable ARJ files, so other Linux
users do probably have the same problem.

Now that I know it is possible to unpack ARJ files on Linux,
I think it is better that we stick to that format, and don't start spending time on additional formats until it becomes neccesary.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but is gzipped at all like pkzipped?

No.

I'd go for MPD distribution, but that would require a two-step distribution:
un-compress the file, then mpdsplit it.

You are completely correct that it would be more
complicated, but mostly because we would have two different
distribution formats.

And unless there was a 'delete MPD archive' included as a
final step, the installation footprint would be twice as
big as necessary.

Not any more than when people leave their LDRAW.EXE file on
the disk after installation. "gunzip < ldraw.mpd.gz | mpdsplit"
would not leave an intermediate uncompressed MPD file anywhere.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:  <URL: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Biler/ >   --