 CAD / Development / 3657
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:46:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Rui Manuel Silva Martins writes:

snip

I haven't looked at your port of the source, but I would like to mention
that you should use GLUT, to make your effort available to other
platforms, other than linux, eventually have the same version for
windows/Linux.
I should warn you that GLUT Menus are a little too simple, which helps
its portability. Maybe they are not suitable for the job (I have never
tryed LDlite).

(NOTE: I Personnaly like Linux a lot, I use it at home)
GLUT source (3.7) is distributed with Mesa source (3.0).

Yeah, I used GLUT and it seems fairly portable.  So far I've compiled it
with gcc for linux/mesa, the mingw32 port of gcc for windows, and Visual
C++ for windows.

I've already started looking for better menus than GLUT.  So far FLTK and
GLUI look like possibilities.  We'll see though, I'll have to see how far
I can stretch GLUT first.

[SNIP] ...

key when working with the files by hand.  Also I think the files are
actually stored in lower case in the DOS/FAT32 filesystem unless you
specifically uppercase them.  (I could be wrong here)  Either way we
should try to be consistent.

As far as I remember, in DOS/FAT16 the names where stored in ALL
UPPERCASE, but I could be wrong, when I get home I will check.

Does someone have "Norton Disk Doctor", DISKEDIT.EXE (or similar
program) at hand on a FAT16/32 partition to check this today ?

Actually at this point, I don't think it matters how the files are stored
on the FAT filesystem since it's case insensitive anyways.  I copied the
files over a network from a smbmounted FAT filesystem and got the files
in all UPPERCASE.  Then I tried copying the files from a locally mounted
FAT filesystem and they were saved on the ext2 filesystem as lowercase.
It looks like we're gonna need a utility to fix the case of all files
in the P, PARTS, and MODEL directories no matter what.  The question is
what should we choose as a standard?

I suspect the right thing to do is to look inside the zip files of the
LDRAW and various updates and see what case is used.  Then we should stick
with that.  I'll have to fetch them again sometime today and take a look.

Don