 CAD / Development / 3678
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:14:16 GMT

Why don't we just define filenames are case-sensitive, and allow for an
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I presume you mean "mixed case". We can't choose between
case-sensitive and case-insensitive.

  I meant exactly CASE-SENSITIVE.
  and by case-sensitive I mean "model.dat" is different from "Model.dat".

  And why can't we choose between ?

  It's a lot easyer to convert from a case-sensitive complient filename
to case-INsensitive than the other way arround.

I am not sure of that. There are many good reasons for
working with case-insensitive file systems.

Could you back up that statement with some GOOD reasons ?
The only one I see is just to ease our laziness (I'm lazy too :P )

I am just saying this, because case-insensitive is just a special case
(may need conversion) of the more general case-sensitive case.
(try reading that fast, twice 8) )

I don't get your point here.

You can derive from a case-sensitive filename (string) un upper or lower
case string, to suit a particular case-insensitive system (which usually
converts to all 'lower' or all 'UPPER' case and then uses this string to
do its deeds).

But you CAN't derive from a case-INsensitive representation (all 'lower',
all 'UPPER' or MiXeD-case) the actual pseudo correct name for a
case-sensitive representation, since the same case-INsensitive string
could reference distinct filenames in a case-sensitive system, You can't
figure out witch.

Cheech, too much words to explain such a simple thing, am I'complicated or
natural language as a long way to learn yet ? ;)

My personal preference is lower case.

Mine is case-insensitive.

I Goofed here, I meant CASE-SENSITIVE

That is not an option. Our choice has to work on both
case-sensitive and case-insensitive file systems.

  Why ?  If we keep the filenames different in a case-S(ensitive) systems
than it will be fully portable to a case-I(nsensitive) systems, and will
allow for future improvements.

Mixed case should be allowed (compatible with case sensitive), but
all people who work on case-sensitive systems, should strive to use the
correct name when referencing a file inside a .dat, or their files won't
be correctly viewed.

People using case-sensitive file systems will notice this
automatically. The problem is people working on
case-insensitive file systems, who don't think of other
kinds of file systems.

  As long as the ldraw distribution has the correct case-S representation,
there will be no problem, and every new file submitted as official should
be checked before release.

> > Having all that said, I would like to propose the following:
> > -case-sensitive filenames

Not an option!

  See all the stuff I wrote above.

- ".DAT" standard extension to minimize changes to existing files
- try to minimize the need for editing the current files
- check if a specific primitive/subpart is referenced with different cases
  in distinct files, and correct to be all the same.

All this can be handled, if we decide to store the files
consistently with either upper or lower case names.

  What would be the real benefit !

  I know that all 'lower' or all 'UPPER' is probably easyer to maintain,
as long as all the files written in a case-S system are previously convert
to the applied convention.

This is not going to really benefit anyone directly, so if we (ldraw
community) decide that it's better to use a case-I aproach, then I'm ok
with that, as long as we include in the FAQ/.DAT specification, that
before every write to disk, the filename MUST be converted to the correct
fixed case, so that files could be interchanged easily between case-S and
case-I systems.

I rest my case.

Rui Martins