 CAD / Development / 3662
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

I suspect the right thing to do is to look inside the zip files of the
LDRAW and various updates and see what case is used.  Then we should stick
with that.  I'll have to fetch them again sometime today and take a look.

Looks like everything is upper-case in the distribution files.

Unfortunately, the case of the names on the files is only a small part of the
battle.  The real problem is all the references to various DAT files inside • all
the other various DAT files.  Those references are definitely mixed, but • tending
toward lower-case.

So the real, current standard is that part-filenames are case-insensitive.

Actually the problem with mixed case inside the files is easily fixed by
one line of code in the program that either UPPERCASES or lowercases the
filename (and directory: P, PARTS, or MODELS) before attempting to open
the file.  However you need to know before compiling the program which
way the files are named on the disk.

Hmmm, I suppose I could make the decision to UPPERCASE or lowercase filenames
a runtime commandline option or environment variable.  That'll work, but I'd
still like to pick a default.  Since the archives are UPPERCASE, I'll go
with that even though I think lowercase is easier to type.

Don.