 CAD / Development / 3689
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:08:11 GMT

Steve:

I think we should decide how the files should be stored
(upper, lower, or mixed case), and then append that to the
DAT format specification.

My personal preference is lower case.

I agree, but my preference isn't so strong that I'd
actually *want* to take the effort to repackage the
distribution files.

Since I want to make a floppy sized distribution anyway, I
definitely feel like taking the time to do it.

Also, I don't know if the ARC compression format/tool will allow lower-case
filenames.

Since it also seems to work on Linux, I suspect that it
does.

Another thing is that I would prefer to use gzipped tar or
MPD as the distribution format on Linux. I couldn't figure
out how to handle the executable ARJ files, so other Linux
users do probably have the same problem.

Yes, in LDraw code, the filenames should be case-insensitive (or more
accurately, rendering programs should always map filenames to the standard
casing).

Yes.

PS: This doesn't really matter for people who only use DOS
   and/or Windows.

No, but it affects people who write programs for DOS or
Windows.  Heck, most DOS programs probably *can't* create
files with lower-case filenames.

Since there really isn't such a thing as upper or lower case
file names in DOS, it is rather unlikely that DOS programs
can do anything but what the operating system feels like
(which mostly seems to be to use upper case).

The most used distribution format for LDraw'ings (besides
the LDraw distribution itself), seems to be MPD. So if the
authors of the MPD unpackaging tools change their code to
convert all file names to upper/lower case before storing
them, most LDraw files would show up with the choosen case
without too much intervention from the users.

Play well,

Jacob (who will use lower case whatever the rest of the world decides ;-)

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:       <URL: http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/ >       --