 Off-Topic / Geek / 1075
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Rui Martins wrote:

Why don't we just define filenames are case-sensitive, and allow for an
option to treat them differently (case-insensitive) if someone requires
it ?

we should look in to the future, every OS will tend to be case-sensitive,
windows hasn't made the change iet, because of it's DOS legacy. But
someday they will.

I doubt that future OS's will be case-sensitive.  If anything, I expect future
OS's to be case-INsensitive.

Most people (esp. non-geeks) don't see that FILE.doc as different from file.DOC,
and it is counter-intuitive for the filesystem to use letter-case as part of the
uniqueness of filenames.

Steve