 CAD / Development / 3680
Re: Ldlite for OpenGL and Linux (and uppercase filenames)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> writes:

Are you sure that was the problem, because Ledit runs on DOS, which
doesn't care on filename case, it's case-insensitive, so it should always
work in DOS.

This is a special LEdit feature, not related to DOS at all.  If the
STUD.DAT filename is uppercase, it is always displayed like a full
stud in LEdit, even if the user chooses to have "line for stud" to
save rendering time.

Fredrik

Hmmm, tell me more about this.  Do you mean the studs are fully drawn if the
file MYBRICK.DAT includes STUD.DAT, but not if it includes stud.dat?  Is there
any other unusual behavior triggered by case inside the DAT files?  Does
someone have access to the LEDIT and LDRAW source so we can verify all this?

Let me restate MY preference (and since I'm a newcomer here, feel free to
stomp all over me :^)

1.  DAT files in the P and PARTS directories should be stored in uppercase
    since they come out of the archives that way.

2.  The P, PARTS, MODELS, BITMAPS, VEC directories should be uppercase since
    they seem to come out of the archives that way as well.

3.  Other DAT files can be stored in whatever case you like.  For example:
    MyModel.dat, MYMODEL.DAT, mymodel.dat.  Just don't put it in the P or PARTS
    directories in anything but UPPERCASE.  And dont expect to see it if you
    include it in MyScene.dat with different capitalization.

4.  You can include bricks and primitives from the P and PARTS directories
    in whatever case you like and they will be UPPERCASED by the programs
    before opening the files.  Any special behavior determined by the case
    can be done before the filename is UPPERCASED.  I'm not quite sure if
    we have some more stringent standards for what goes on inside the bricks
    and primitives files in the PARTS and P directories.  It sounds like we
    do based on the special LEDIT behavior mentioned above.

5.  Automatic UPPERCASING inside the program will ONLY happen for DAT files
    in the P and PARTS directories and their subdirectories.

6.  I'm still not thrilled with this because it makes the DAT file caching
    scheme in Ldlite trickier, but I can't think of a better solution...

What a can of worms!

Don